Monday 11 May 2009

Scilly




For the first time in my life I visited the Scilly Isles last week for an overnight stay with friends who were there on holiday for the week . After a very calm crossing I transferred by smaller boat to Tresco to visit the gardens and then spent the night on St Agnes where we explored the island the following day finishing up at the pub that has to have one of the finest views in England before catching the ferry back from St Marys . I did get a brief chance to see the main street before an equally calm crossing back to the mainland . Tresco Gardens were inspirational and although I was only there for a short time I managed two quick drawings of the amazing tropical plants and brightly colored wildlife (a pheasant who came to drink from the pond where I was drawing ).I intend to go back in September or October for a week to continue visual research to develop more designs from these amazing gardens.
The islands themselves exude a feeling of calm and space and it is palpably warmer and drier than the mainland with exotic succulents lodging themselves in wall crevices and displaying themselves in abundance alond lanes and in gardens . The sea is a beautiful turquoise tinged with green and the birds even friendlier than Trebah . An amazing place to get away from it all without having to fly abroad , a unique environment .

No comments: