Monday 11 May 2009

Recycle,reuse reinvent .




Alongside my digital print designs that I am working on from my drawings I am also translating them in applique and embroidery onto antique linens bought through ebay . Many of these have small tears or rust marks or some other imperfection that have rendered them less than perfect . These prove to be a perfect canvas for my own designs and also take them from their own era into the 21st century. Alongside this I have been looking at other textile artists who are working on a similar theme such as Jamie MkIntosh ,although her work is fashion based , and Zoe Murphy who is using recycled wedding dress silks to create interior pieces using print and stitch.
I will also be using print alonside the stitch techniques on the larger pieces.
So far I have translated "Gulls and daisies onto a small table cloth piece and "fish and fuschia " onto two tray cloths that have a side embroideres inset . The fact that the piece is already "finished " creates a perfect canvas for my work.
Having been brought up with mealtimes where we always had a tablecloth and our own linen napkin (and individual napkin rings ) perhaps developing this side of my work may encourage people to once again sit down at the table and enjoy meals together . A dying art or not ? Discuss!

No comments: