Friday 20 March 2009

Visual Research for Spring






Spring has arrived and with it the sunshine and dry days to walk and draw and visit gardens otherwise unexplored (by me ) . One of the most beautiful recent find is Caerhays near Mevagissey which has 450 different species of magnolia and many magnolia and rhododendrons.Described as a horticultural treasure trove it is the garden to visit in the spring . Because it is only open for a short time (February to June ) and is so well established the atmosphere there is very powerful and special . I became fascinated by the structure of the branches and having not taken my camera deliberately had to try to capture this in a drawing .I will definitely go back and draw again . The day I went was a wild and windy sunday but I still managed to get some good drawing in .
I have also recently been to Burncoose Gardens and Nursery which is linked to Caerhays when I did take my camera and this time made both photographs and drawings .This is a compilation of the two places both of which deserve a revisit soon before the beauty fades and changes ,

No comments: