Monday 7 January 2008

Fabric experiments December 20007

Using a close up from one of my tree canopy photographs taken in a piece of ancient woodland near to Mawgan on the Lizard , Cornwall I developed two images for a screen that could be overlayed . My aim is to create window dressings that transform the interface between the interior of a building and the outside world using images drawn directly from nature either for intimate interior spaces or to break up architecturally bland or severe windows .
The image above shows these discharge printed onto predyed black cotton organdie.
The third image on the screen (see below) is a paper cut out which reminds me of a "tree of Life" or "world tree" image which is common across many cultures and religions .I have seen this in in many design contexts including ceramics . I also used this for the tea towels . I now realise that once a design is created it can be used for a variety of products . Cath Kidstons range of home products is a case in point where designs have expanded in to a wide range of products and an extremely successful business. http://CathKidson.co.uk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World-tree

This experiment is with two layers of printed cotton organdie that have been overstitched to pick out the detail of the leaves .




The fabric above is predyed orange organdie with a discharged tree of life in pale grey photographed on my computer room window with a view of the tres outside showing through the sheer fabric.

Using the leaf screen I printed and overprinted onto white cotton organdie to create a window piece that reflects the tree canopy .(See image below)





Using the tree of life screen to print onto tea towels with a view to marketing in a local shop to test viability of design . My next step is to get the labelling and packaging ready.The lime green one is grey discharge on predyed (procion dye) cotton and the blue on turqouise procion dyed print paste on predyed cotton .








No comments: