Tuesday 11 December 2007

Postcard 8



I dont seem to have saved the writing for this one . The composition was created as a collage of images . The background from photographs of the tree canopies alonside a close up of an Elizabethan embroidered pillowslip using blackwork and detailed infill stitches . The swans are images from drawings from my sketchbook that I tried to cut out in photoshop moved and ended up with a white border. The swans are stiil there by the bridge near my new home in Mawgan preening and squabbling . I wonder if they are wintering there? They are adult mute swans and there must be at least a dozen of them . They are very powerful birds and one of the largest birds still capable of flight .

I havent included them in my fabric designs yet but have been looking back at bird drawing collected over the last couple of years in sketch book and working on them in photoshop with a view to a design .

Birds are a recurring theme for me symbolising freedom . I used to have peacocks coming into my garden when I lived in Silverdale now that was amazing looking out of your window first thing in the morning to seee a peacock in full display and the call is haunting . Now I have swans !I love to draw them preening as they get into the most amazing shapes .


"While the peacock is a symbol of material manifestation, the swan stands for the ethereal. It represents the presence of divine inspiration in our world. ..."


See the website below for fascinating information about swans in mythology and literature .

www.khandro.net/animal_bird_swan.htm /

No comments: