Thursday 20 December 2007

The darker side of life



I don't know if it is the time of year , the dark nights and the end of the year coming giving one time to reflect or the part of the Pema Chodron book I have come to, or discussions about shadows with Lizzie probably a combination of all of that that created this one .I find it fascinating that according to Buddhist study the very things we work hard to push away are the things we need to embrace . Whilst in Manchester recently Jon and I had a very short trip to the Trafford Centre , Manchesters Temple of consumerism which was full of stuff most of which is probably extraneous to most peoples lives and people rushing around buying it ! Its scary how much stuff we produce buy and then throw away only to buy more stuff. Having just packed up a removal van full of stuff and I am not a hoarder by any means I wonder how in the years I have been on this planet I have managed to accumulate so much . How much of this is retail therapy to stop us looking at our darker sides the uncomfortable painful bits . My work so far has tended to be very bland and prettty perhaps it will start to change through these discoveries and musings .

No comments: