Tuesday 6 November 2007

Quote from Robert MacFarlane


The Wild Places p76

"In a land as densely populated as Britain openness can be hard to find .It is difficult to reach places where the horizion is experienced as a long unbroken line or where the blue of distance becomes visible .Opennness is rare but its importance is proportionally great .Living constantly among streets and houses induces a sense of enclosure of short range sight .The spaces of moors ,seas, and mountains couteract this uninterrupted space - a metaphor for freedom and opennnesss can sometimes bring those feelings fiercly on . "

I have just come back from a week in Manchester with a brief but welcome foray to the Howgills .As soon as I reach the city the world closes in and the stress levels rise , constant noise of traffic , the view only of the next building . The piece above (with close up detail ) was in response to my enclosed Manchester garden . My own private green open space however small . It is one of the pieces for the Sedbergh exhibition .
Driving up the motorway to Farfield Mill, Sedburgh to put up the exhibition "Stitched Up"I could see the horizons expanding and feel the same expansion in myself. I need to embody these feelings in future work imbue it with a sense of freedom and invite the viewer to participate .Is there a sense of space in this piece ? Comments welcome please. It will be interesting to see how the work changes as I respond to my new surroundings .
I read the above quote on return it sums up my feelings .

No comments: