Wednesday 15 April 2009

Work in progress

My work over the last two weeks has been to attempt to combine my fabric with the screen panels . I had developed the new cut but only executed it in card intending to construct a table top version for the university stand at the Milan Furniture Fair and display it alongside my fabrics .It was then decided that I needed to combine the two. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the assignment in time for various reasons , the main one being time, as it was a complex process requiring time to resolve satisfactorily . However I learned a lot through the process.
Initially I had ordered MDF to make the screen but then canceled the order as I had not realized the problems with the content of formaldehyde used in the construction process.I changed the order to oak ply and found that the price of this has almost doubled since last July due to the fact that it is imported from the USA and the whole global financial impact on manufacturing , the pound /dollar thing etc etc ( where does that leave its carbon foot print ?).

The construction of a double lampshade ,one inside the other(one fabric and one paper or steamed wood laser cut ), was also considered but timewise would have proved difficult.I am still considering the possibility of using the cut on paper and bonding it to fabric to make into a lamp shade as the latest email from the lampshade manufacturer said that they do have a paper substrate that artists sometimes use when they want to decorate both sides of the shade. Amazing what you find out when you refuse to use pvc or plastic.
One week gone .
The other possibility were panels with fabric on one side then laser cut almost like samples or decorative hung pieces . (Another design constraint it had to be hung.).The hydrangea design was the fabric choice althought in retrospect this does not work with the oak pattern but to develop a new fabric design that would again was time bound.
I developed an etched pattern that reflected the hydrangea fabric that was glued to the other side of the ply with (in the end after various experiments)carpet glue spray .The fabric was initially linen but the flaws of the wood show through .Also the colour of the fabric , the pink,varies depending on whether it is linen or the Ramie mix and whether it is washed or not . Washing makes it too pale .
Weighting down the slightly warped ply caused problems . The initial laser cut cut the outside first and so the wood sprang up and I had to get help rearranging the cut . The ramie /hemp mix works but then when it came to laser cutting the cut setting did not allow for the thickness of the new fabric .I then realised that one panel was not going to be enough and that given the time and my lack of energy I was not going to resolve it in time to produce three panels that I was happy to present. Also the money constrictions as the fabric is costing £34 a metre to buy and print .
Lots to resolve.


image 1: Card screen with fabrics.

image 2 :Etched oak ply with laser cut edges.

image 3:Laser cut panel part cut due to thickness of fabric.

image 4 :Four samples of fabric all with the same design digitally printed on linen / linenwashed / ramie / ramie washed .

No comments: