Saturday 25 April 2009

Lloyd loom chair


I may have found the chair to go in my show in the summer . I was looking for a 1950s chair but the prices and the distance to collect had been prohibitive but the other day I came across this one on Ebay which just happened to be in Falmouth . It is genuine 1930s with a date stamp on the base . Slightly worse for wear but only a bit of paint missing and a few strands of what I thought was wickerwork( but turns out to be wire covered in paper ) damaged .
This one suits me as it is light to transport and will probably be enough to show off one or two of my fabrics .
Lloyd loom weave is woven from twisted kraft paper and wire invented by Marshall Burns Lloyd in 1917 to replace hand woven wicker or cane furniture . The company in Spalding resurrected the process in 1981 the original factory having been destroyed during the war in the 1940s and are still running today using sustainable timber supplies for their frames . One of the few remining British quality furniture makers they launched their all weather range last year .All in all it ticks lots of boxes re the eco side of things . I just need now to decide how to cover it .

No comments: