Thursday 19 February 2009

Portable shrine screen


A few years ago whilst visiting the Kagyu Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist Centre in Eskdailemuir in Scotland I bought myself a portable shrine in the form of a folding card screen around A4 size with images of the buddha and lotus flowers on the front and a buddhist teaching on the back . It has travelled with me to many places and at Christmas I accidentally left it behind . This prompted me to make my own shrine screen from objects and images in my own home .The result is this which I have since sent to various frinds with a variety of quotes or words on the back the simplest one being NOW.The only moment we have is the on we are experiencing at this given moment."This very moment is the perfect teacher."
I am going to develop this as an addition to my current routed and laser cut screens and a lecture last night by Sian Bonnell ( an artist who uses the landscape through photography in her work and has taken objects from her home out into the environment ) has given me ideas to take shrine objects out with me on my explorations and drawings in the landscape.

No comments: