Tuesday 3 February 2009

The Eco Design Hand book

Another strand of research into materials is this book by Alastair Fuad Luke of Slow Lab .On the surface the answer to my dreams on sourcing materials for products but on closer examination I discovered that this book was written in 2004 . I have only just begun to look at the different manufacturers but have discovered the two paper makers using recycled paper in the UK have gone bust and the rest are in the USA . How green is it to ship paper across the ' pond' . Acordis fibres have been taken over by Lenzing etc However there is a supplier of plywood ,from sustainable sources in Finland , albeit in Preston Lancashire and there is also a glue that is sugar based called ecostyx that I am investigating .
I am also still considering the use of reycled fabrics which I will struggle with as I have an aversion to second hand stuff unless its from someone that I know . ( However saw a really nice cutwork tablecloth in a charity shop in Helston for £15 100ins diameter at the weekend and a set of napkins 6 for £4) I could use the needle puncher as in Nuno felt and machine embroidery as well as using waterbased inks for the print process to decorate .
An interesting book to read but products not as accesible as first appears.

No comments: