Wednesday 3 September 2008

Statement for MA Show

MA Textile Design (part-time),

rowenaardern@googlemail.com

This exhibition marks the halfway point in my MA Textile Design, showcasing samples and prototypes of my work in progress.

What is your project?

My work aims to reconnect people to the beauty of nature by creating textiles window pieces and screens that bring the outside inside whilst investigating ethical design routes,

Why have you chosen this particular focus?

I want to raise awareness of our responsibility to support and maintain this beautiful planet that has fed and nurtured us physically and spiritually for thousands of years. In the fast paced world of contemporary living our senses are bombarded by images and ideas, I aim to recreate an intimacy and a sense of peace through my designs.

What processes have you involved in the production of your final Designs?

Subject matter initially arose from walks in local woodland taking photographs and drawings, which were developed into designs using Photoshop and Illustrator, alongside sampling textile print, embroidery using a variety of fabrics and materials .I used the laser cutter and the router to develop the screen design. I also researched artists and designers who reference nature whilst reading around trees in fact and fiction including tree symbolism.

Do you aim to develop these ideas further?
I intend to continue developing my screens and window pieces incorporating the investigation of the 3D and engraving possibilities of the router and transferring designs to the Jacquard.


What element or aspect of the design(s) would you want people to notice?

Beauty and simplicity.


What one word would summarise you as a designer?

Inquisitive

No comments: